The Burton Joyce    Village Plan
Copyright The Burton Joyce Village Plan
Index About The Village Traffic Leisure Community Communication Environment Young People Gallery Contacts/News
About Burton Joyce
Burton Joyce is a large village of 1600  households in the Borough of Gedling,  nestling alongside the River Trent. The  location of the village – near to attractive  countryside yet also within easy commuting  distance of Nottingham - is one of its  greatest assets. Residents and visitors enjoy walking and  cycling along the riverside amidst beautiful  flora and fauna and exploring the many  footpaths in and around the village. Of three churches in the village, St Helen’s  is the earliest. There is no evidence as to  when the first stone church on this site was  built, but in the 13th or 14th Century the  building was extended into its current plan. The history of the village is well  documented, “An Iron Age Fort, a Saxon  Settlement, [Bertune], a Norman Manor, a  farming community, the stocking frame  industry, the River Trent, the railway and  the Victorian development all contributed to  determine the shape and heritage of Burton Joyce as it is today.” [There has been a  recent find of Neolithic arrowheads.] Today, Burton Joyce is a thriving village  with a good community spirit. Residents  feel fortunate to live in a village having two  Doctors’ surgeries, a Dentist, Post Office,  school and several venues in which to hold  village events. Many organisations and associations  flourish, providing opportunities for like  minded people to get together and also  raise money for local charities. “We moved to the village 13 years ago and were immediately impressed by the friendliness, community spirit and the wide range of facilities available”
Geese by the River Trent
Burton Joyce Gala
The Village Centre
About